SEO Tips for Small Businesses
Improving your SEO strategy isn’t always as complicated as you may think. In fact, when you learn SEO, you can quickly gain a greater understanding of how each piece of the internet marketing puzzle comes together to provide higher search engine rankings, increased traffic and more leads.
Understanding Google Analytics
The first step to adapting your SEO and tailoring a campaign that will actually work to boost your search engine traffic is to understand how to measure the results. Google analytics should be your best friend and as you learn SEO, you’ll come to be even more friendly towards Google analytics. This is where you will learn how your website is performing, where traffic is coming from, where traffic is exiting from, what keywords are driving traffic, what keywords should be driving more traffic and how many people are even coming to your website in the first place.
Ten Quick Tips on White Hat SEO for Small Businesses
- There’s no better time to start SEO than a year ago. The next best time is now! Don’t procrastinate on small business SEO plans.
- The best way to outrank your competition is to know who they are, what they are doing and how you can do it better.
- SEO is ongoing, it’s never complete or finished or done.
- Rankings can plummet in a heartbeat so it’s important to stay up to date with what’s happening, to adapt to search engine algorithm updates and to continue SEO.
- Search engine submissions are unnecessary & building links on link-farms won’t help either.
- Duplicate content, copied content from other places, or content that is posted elsewhere is not effective.
- The best way to get ranked is to post content that others will like and share.
Content is king!
- Titles and meta descriptions are important, they should be unique and tailored specifically to the page.
- Keyword research is vital, otherwise you’re flying aimlessly based on your own assumptions and this could prove to be costly.
- High quality backlinks are important, hard to get and take time—but they are worth every bit of the effort they take to acquire.