Welcome back to PBJ’s continuous coverage of mobile site and app design. This is part three of our four-part series, but if you’ve skipped ahead, check out Part 2: Mobile Site & App Layouts and the Impact on User Experience.This week we’re looking at ways to better streamline checkout and payment methods on your brand’s mobile site or app. Once again, we turn to Think With Google for its valuable insight on the matter.
- Keep users shoppingA mobile site or app’s shopping cart should never be a dead end. Numerous retailers attempt to force users to check out the moment they add an item to the cart, but this is ill-advised. Instead, provide a simple confirmation without navigating users away from the current product page.
- Simplify the cartHave you ever become so frustrated with the functionality of a mobile shopping cart that you abandon it altogether? Allow users to edit items in their cart quickly and efficiently to keep them shopping.
- Remind users about deals and promotionsPromotions and coupons provide tremendous incentives for shoppers. Forcing customers to scour your site for deals is frustrating and reflects negatively on your brand. Instead, position promotions and coupons front-and-center in the shopping cart and during the checkout process.
- Offer a “guest” optionUsers who are not yet loyal to your brand might get scared off if they’re required to register with your site in order to complete a purchase. Curb this issue by offering a guest check-out option so users can get their foot in the door.
- Provide peace of mindNow more than ever, consumers are concerned about their information’s security while shopping online. It seems like every day a major company gets hacked, compromising the personal information of millions of consumers. Ensure your mobile site or app is secure by taking advantage of modern data security best practices.
- Diversify payment optionsConsumers have very diverse wallets, allowing them to complete purchases in numerous ways. Your site should accept major credit cards, including VISA, MasterCard, and American Express, but take it a step further by also processing PayPal, Apple Pay, and Android Pay.
- SummarizeA lot of information is exchanged during the mobile shopping process. Offer a detailed transaction summary once an order is confirmed for a user’s digital files. Also provide customer service contact information so they can easily correct any errors.