In digital marketing, the changes come fast and furious — and with that comes a wealth of new information that your team must somehow ingest and utilize. The term “drinking from a firehose” comes to mind when you consider the number of blog posts, online courses, training events and even local meet-ups that are available. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the best opportunities for learning, many of which are free or relatively inexpensive. Everything from new trends in SEO to advanced analytics is on the menu with constant changes. Bring on the knowledge!
Online Learning Opportunities
Are you brushing up on a few courses or ready to earn a Master’s degree in digital marketing? Online and on-campus courses are found through programs for many major universities, but non-traditional institutions of learning may be a more flexible option for adult learners. Studies show that adult learners have a different question and real-world scenarios that you might find in a traditional classroom, making these options ideal for continuing your marketing education.
- Simplilearn’s Digital Marketing Specialist Master’s Program
- Udemy’s Ultimate SEO, Social Media and Digital Marketing Mastery 2019
- LinkedIn Learning (Lynda) Digital Marketing Training
Local Digital Marketing Events
Are you a member of local or professional marketing or business organizations? BOLO for various training luncheons or after-work mixers that draw decent crowds and have a learning aspect. Ever been on a Meetup? They’re definitely not just for finding that “special someone” — Meet-ups are a great way to meet like-minded professionals, too. Over half a million people are subscribed to digital marketing Meetups and there have been over 2,000 events scheduled around the world. You’re likely to find groups in your town talking about a range of digital marketing topics such as SEO and internet marketing, analytics and more.
Large-Scale Regional or National Events
Big crowds. Lots of vendors. Plenty of educational opportunities. Bring on the conferences! At a standard action-packed digital marketing conference, you can expect to see big-name vendors mingle with smaller start-ups, plenty of new tech tools and toys (as well as some cool swag) — all while learning something new from peers and training sessions. If you’re working with a particular digital marketing platform, look for their annual events. If you’re looking for general knowledge, here are some top bets for 2019 conferences:
- Adobe MAX: Known as “the” event for creatives, Adobe MAX is the high-end, ultimate event that includes multiple training sessions and keynotes that will knock your socks off.
- Want to enjoy some fun in the sun while you’re learning? DIGIMARCON is offering their 5th annual cruise in 2019 as well as multiple other regional and national events.
- Search Engine Land hosts SMX — or Search Marketing Expo West and East in 2019, as well as global options in Munich and London for individuals obsessed with SEO and SEM.
- Want to work on your content strategy? Check out Confab — focused on content strategy and marketing in Minneapolis in April.
- Want all-around marketing, technology, and management learning? Check out MarTech (East and West) in 2019. You’ll speak with others who are navigating organizational change and high levels of complexity in their business.
- Is video marketing more your style? VidCon in Anaheim, California, may be the best fit for your learning needs. See how brands and social icons leverage video to grow their audience (and make money!).